The EurAsia Cup is a biennial Ryder Cup style competition between Team Europe and Asia, owned and operated by EurAsia, a joint venture between the European Tour and Asian Tour. Following a successful partnership with the tournament in both 2014 and 2016, we were appointed to develop and implement PR & communications, an event marketing strategy and activation for the 2018 edition in Malaysia. The key objective was to drive tournament attendance and deliver maximum PR exposure for the tournament and partners.
An integrated event marketing programme was initiated covering advertising, PR, digital and social, media partnerships, community outreach, partnership engagement and event activation.
The digital assets from EurAsia Cup 2014 and 2016 were utilised to activate a digital marketing and promotional campaign aimed at increasing tournament attendance. This was supplemented by leveraging partnerships with key stakeholders, Malaysian businesses and local communities to host a series of events and activities that helped drive greater awareness of the event. This strategy included:
- Geo-targeting outdoor and print advertising in Kuala Lumpur to attract golf fans
- A series of press announcements involving team appearance to build anticipation and deliver tangible media engagement and opportunities
- A seven-week roadshow tour around Central Kuala Lumpur, including golf clubs, driving ranges, partner offices & community clubs, to encourage the general public to connect with the tournament and generate a social buzz around the EurAsia Cup 2018
- Management of all digital and social platforms, including website, database and social media including content generation
- Utilising our digital platform to partner with Etihad Airways to give away a unique Dubai golf experience including hospitality at the DP Tour Championship
- A business satellite event during the tournament to engage the local business community in Kuala Lumpur
Results included a USD $6.8m reach value, with a supplementary ad value of USD $63 million. The seven-week roadshow travelled to 105 locations with approximately 7,000 direct interactions with the local audience and a total of 10,828 ticket giveaways. On the EurAsia cup social channels, a reach of 1.3m was generated with over 71.5K engagements between September 2017 and January 2018.